The Dubai Financial Services Authority (DFSA) alerts the financial services community and the public about a scam using a fake document purporting to come from the DFSA and referring to “the Dubai National Lottery Foundation 2018 online prize awards”.
The fake document fraudulently states that a sum of USD 3,600,000 will be paid to “the beneficiary” within 36 hours if the beneficiary transfers USD 36,000 to the scammers for “registration” and to obtain “official approval” for remittance of the funds.
In the fake document, the scammers have falsely used the:
• DFSA’s name and logo on the document;
• name of the DFSA’s chairman as the signatory of the document; and
• name of other UAE banks and a UAE government ministry.
A copy of the document can be viewed here.
The DFSA would like to inform you that the:
• “Dubai National Lottery Foundation” does not exist;
• letter is fake and has not been sent by the DFSA; and
• scammers have fraudulently used the DFSA’s name and logo, the name of the DFSA’s chairman and the name of two UAE banks and a UAE government ministry, without authority and for an improper purpose.
The DFSA has a page on its website dedicated to alerts which it has issued about scams. All alerts issued by the DFSA may be accessed by going to: ALERTS
The DFSA has also issued warnings and guidance about the common types of scams, including Advance Fee scams, perpetrated on consumers. For more information on these scams please go to: HOW TO AVOID BEING SCAMMED
If you have any concerns about the authenticity of any correspondence or documents that purport to be issued by the Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC), DFSA or a DFSA regulated Firm, you should direct your concerns to the DIFC on Tel:+971 4 362 2222 and to the DFSA via the DFSA Complaints function on: COMPLAINTS
For better web experience, please use the website in portrait mode